Friday, March 20, 2009

Gymboree Art Class

Took AN for Gymboree's art class a while ago.

There were only AN and I, besides the teacher.

It was rather boring compared to the play class and AN felt the same way too when she kept telling me "out" and pulling me towards the door soon after we stepped into the classroom. She wanted to go out to play with the other kids. She LOVES to climb and rock on the rocking horse. She LOVES the Playgym.

I didn't bring her out coz it was art class we went there for, so it had to be art class we stayed on for.

1st thing AN got her hands on was Playdoh. (Boring thing was) Mr Cosmo (the art teacher) and I rolled the dough, flatted them and cut shapes with shape cutters while AN went to play with the chairs and everything else. She didn't seem interested in playing doh -_________-"

Next 'project' was to paint a paper plate cut up into the shape of a fish with orange paint, stick 'scales' and an eye on it. AN enjoyed herself painting the fish although she appeared to be quite a clean freak. She'd go "oops", "eeeeeee", "mummy", "sai sai" (everything that's dirty is "sai sai") whenever the orange paint got onto her hands and she'd offer her hands for me to wipe clean. Wonder why she's hardly anything near clean at home..hmm..

Since it was practically a personal class for AN, an hour would be too long. The teacher got AN some water to drink, and biscuits to munch on. I'm not sure if it's part of the syllabus but something told me that was to pass some time.

After the 'snack' session, we had a last project to complete.

Mr Cosmo said the objective of the day was for the kids to learn the colour 'Orange', so AN was given some orange paper flowers with orange bits and pieces to paste onto a blue piece of paper.

AN had totally no interest in pasting flowers at all -_____-". She went to play with the bubbles in the plastic container containing soapy water for the kids to rinse their dirty hands after painting.

I asked if kids attending art class for the 1st time behaved like she did and Mr Cosmo assured me that she was very likely distracted coz there were no other kids she could watch and follow. Thursday classes are new, so most parents would go for the Monday class (almost always full) and Thursday classes are empty, like today.

I tried to book our next session for the coming Monday (so AN can have company) but sadly, places were already taken up. Poor AN will have to learn art all by herself again next Thursday, unless some parents realise they can join the new Thursday class.

Going home each time after Gymboree is a challenge. AN will scream and shout and stretch all 4 limbs out against the door so she need not leave, but we have to.

It was embarrassing when I had to carry a screaming AN out to strap her back into the car seat before I returned to fetch her art pieces, my socks and her shoes. Was really glad the teacher came out with AN's stuff before I even managed to strap her in. He said it's a common that kids behave like AN, throwing fits and refusing to leave after all the fun. I believe that's true but have yet to notice any fits as bad as AN's in the other kids (sigh....)

AN continued to be angry with me for about half of the journey, throwing her arms in the air and crying each time I tried to talk to her (Terrible Two or Terrible AN?) but as I drove, she started to calm down a little. By the time we got home, she seemed to have almost forgotten that she was angry with me.

That was a fruitful trip for me (and AN, I hope). It was my 1st time driving her out on my own . Thank God her screams and tanthrums did not result in something nasty..hehe. I'm convinced I've been immunized to her cries after 23 months of caring for her.

Lastly, I leave you with our art works. The fish completed by AN and flowers by yours truly.


It's music class tomorrow and I'm hoping to bring her out on my own again. hehe. We'll see how the class is like. I'm quite looking forward to it :)

*p.s. I drove my parents to La Encantada just now. That's probably the furthest I've gone since I started driving. It is easy to get there tho (just keep going straight). hee. Just a mental note for myself.

No comments: