Friday, July 31, 2009

W is a joy to watch

This is so fun!

W navigates his way around the house and even under the sofa! It was my fault I did not set up the virtual walls to keep it cleaning area by area so I do not expect supreme quality (the living area was too large for a small machine like that).

I inspected the carpet after he fell asleep (I was bathing AN while he was doing his thing downstairs) and fur level was down by at least 50% (I could only get it down by at most 60-70% manually on my own).

I set him to work at about 9.30am. Baileys and Maen were totally not bothered by it a single bit! They would only move away calmly when he went near them. He wasn't loud and definitely not noisy at all! He spoke in a constant low pitch voice as he worked. It actually sounded quite lulling.

He stopped once when the brushes were overwhelmed by fur and hair. Guess what? He said "Remove and clean Roomba's brushes". YES HE SPOKE TO ME! Erm...in a lady's voice though.

It's a common practice to clear hair and fur out from brushes as I vacuum-clean the house regardless of which vacuum cleaner I've used so this didn't bother me. After I was done wiping his mouth, he went on working again. It took him about 45 mins to complete this cleaning cycle and parked himself back to his docking station *wow*.

I cleared the dust chamber which turned out to look a little on the small side but there weren't too much rubbish to collect (I do not leave tissue papers and large unwanted garbage for my vacuum cleaners to clear, unlike some people...) and it wasn't full so I guess that little chamber was good enough.

I was surprised at the amount of MY hair that was collected! And the D.U.S.T! It was about as much as the size of a lady's palm (literally). Maybe coz BM's coat are shorter now, they didn't seem to dominate W's stomach as much as my hair. (OMGoodness, I'm shedding too..)

After cleaning the brushes again and clearing the dust chamber, I got it back to clean the living area again while AN and I went upstairs to bath. W saved me so much time and effort: I could have still been lugging the big fat Iecology around by now, but I was bathing AN while W was working down there!

He was lifeless when we came back down after the bath, away from his parking lot. I thought he was supposed to go back. hehe. He's resting now (he needs to recharge for 3 hours before he has the energy to continue working again). He probably worked for about 1.5hrs before he fell asleep.

So, having used it for the first time, I am super impressed. Impressed at how much time I saved, impressed at how much dust and fur and hair he collected, impressed at how he turned corners and tried his best to cover as much of the area as possible (I will set the virtual wall up some time later to help him do a better job). I was expecting noise but he was surprisingly so mild tempered even Baileys and Maen didn't find him a single bit threatening. They have accepted him as part of the family!

And he's so fun to watch. I could have done other household chores or spend some time with AN while he did the first round of cleaning but both of us were so fascinated by him we could only stand there and watch. Baileys and Maen were lying by the window, sleeping while he was cleaning. I'm really impressed by his low noise!!

He doesn't seem to work much on suction more than the use of the rotating brushes on his belly.

Have taken some videos. Will post it when I've time to. hehe.

I enjoyed W's presence for now.

No comments: