Friday, September 19, 2008

AN at 17th months

Some of the following may come across as no big deal/ a little bo-liao/ unrelated etc, but to me, it's simple amazement how a baby grows from not being able to control a single body part, to doing certain things we adults have been doing, seemingly our whole lives.

AN has been eating...
Little AN seems to share my taste for spicy food. She looked interested in my curry last week, so I dipped her spoon into curry and touched her tongue with the tip of the spoon. She looked like she was about to cry, but she did not. Her eyes welled up with tears and she started to turn red (hehe. I was waiting for smoke to rush out from her nose & ears like we see in cartoons). Then she smiled and pointed to the bowl of curry, telling me "See?". I asked if she wanted more and she nodded. I dipped the spoon into the curry and gave it to her like I did the 1st time, again. She had the same reaction but did not cry. I dared not give it to her a 3rd time tho. Better not push it too far.

So, yup. She's had:
  • Curry (wee bit of it)
  • Fried rice (with egg, or fish, tou fu
  • Fried & Souped Bee hoon (with shredded chicken/ minced pork/ fish)
  • Souped assorted noodles (Vietnamese rice noodles, Xin Zhu Mee Fen, Dong Fen, Mee Sua etc)
  • Spaghetti
  • All sorts of vege that we can find in supermarkets here (except for lettuces/ salad vegetable)
  • Whatever else we adults eat that's easy enough for her to chew on her own

AN has been saying:

  • Papa
  • Mama: She's starting to call me "Meee" too.
  • Mam mam: B-milk.
  • "See?": Everything that she doesn't have a word for, she will point to it and say "See?", or if she really wants us to see something, it's "Seesh?" which is actually "See this?".
  • Cheeosh: Her version of Cheerios.
  • Popo: When the phone rings, she will tell me "Po po", meaning it's grandma- my mum, calling. My mum is the only person who calls everyday. hehe.
  • Pong pong: Bathing time, her favourite activity of each day.
  • Pers: Pampers.
  • Ter: Water.
  • Too/Two: I wonder if it's coincidental but she had twice pointed to the number 2 while identifying it verbally on her book!).
  • Shir: Sure. Whenver I ask if she's sure something was what she wanted, she will reply "Sure"..hmm...ya, sure..
  • Slib: Sleep. When she's sleepy, she'll climb onto the sofa/bed, tap on the pillow and tell me "Slib". That happened when we were at the hotel & in Neigi's home too. She says that when she, for no particular reasons, wants BM to sleep too.
  • Sig: Sit. When it's mealtime, when she's watching the TV from too close a proximity, when I need her to sit, for some reason or other, she will do so and repeat "sit" after me. She's since who-knws-when, cultivated her own habit of sitting at this particular spot on the sofa when it's mealtimes, and insist I feed her there by pointing that direction and telling me "sit" at the same time before she makes her way there. And like "sleep", she will instruct BM to "sit" too.
  • Shoo: Shoe. As and when she feels like putting her shoes on, she will bring them to me and tell me "Shoo". Sometimes she will attempt to put her shoes on her feet by herself.
  • Mei Mei: Maen. She says that very clearly. haha!
  • Bag!: Back. On our behalf, to Baileys & Maen when she wants them to get off the sofa. The actual command is "off".
  • Bao bao: When she wants us to carry her.
  • Bay bay: Bye bye, while waving goodbye. It's starting to sound like how it should sound.
  • Baby
  • Bays: Shorter and easier pronunciation of Baileys' name.
  • Bear: From the pictures of Care Bear on her pillow case.
  • Boog: Book. When she wants me to read to her, or just flip through the pages with her.
  • Dog dog
  • Goog ger: Good girl.
  • Gang doo, Dang doo or variations: Thank You.
  • Gai gai (oh yeah! Shopping!)
  • Nag nag nag: I'll say "nag nag nag" when she whines. Now she self confesses "nag nag nag" when she wants my attention
  • Keep: When I need her to keep her toys
  • K (okay when she really means ok, or simply repeating after me)
  • Uh-oh: Whenever something doesn't seem right
No wonder people keep telling us to talk to her a lot. She repeats after us very well, except that she doesn't always remember how to say it on her own the next time round. So, talk a lot to your kids, ya? hee.


AN has been helping...
  • She brings the cordless phone back to its charging station. She ENJOYS doing this so much that I don't even have to ask her to do it sometimes. She will bring it back on her own accord after I've hung up. Else when I ask if she could help mummy to "put the phone back", she'll nod her head and do the rest. Once she accidentally pushed the charging station off the table. She picked it up and tried for quite a while, to put it back the same way before it fell off. hehe.
  • She keeps her own toys (many times back to the wrong places but she's learnt which drawer keeps what, so if she kept her things in the wrong place, I just have to remind her and she will re-organise her stuff)
  • She helps fetch me diapers when I ask, sometimes. When she doesn't think she needs a change, I'll have to get clean diapers on my own, and then go catch her back to the sofa to change her -___-"
  • She puts things back to where she last knew it came from when we ask her to "put it back", with a plea, "please" (to also teach her to say "please")
She's generally very helpful whatever I ask her to help me with. I wonder if it's only temporary, that she's only happy to show off her newfound ability to understand us better. hmm.


AN has mastered..
  • sipping directly from a cup. I've not allowed her to drink from a cup without me helping coz she still over estimates and pour water all over herself.
  • sipping from straw (since many months ago, but I've not made a mental note yet, in case I forget when she's older. hehe)
  • opening her own Mag Mag sippy cup and drinking from it (this one no big deal coz it opens easily. Thought I'd note it down coz I found it cute the 1st time she did that.)
  • putting her hands into sleeves and feet into pants when I dress her up, not on her own yet tho. hehe.
  • sending flying kisses (I thought this is one of the 1st things babies learnt when they are really really young...she's a little too slow in this wor)
  • opening twist-caps. Since the day she opened my Dior blusher, she's got better at it. Mineral bottles and anything with twist-caps are no longer safe in her hands...

AN has learnt body part like:

  • Ears
  • Belly button
  • Feet
  • Hands
She's supposed to be familiar with 5 but still gets confused with where her eyes, nose & mouth are. *Makes a mental note not to be too bothered abt minor details!*

Yup, that’s about all. For the benefit of mummies with young kids, or mummies to be, you can track your baby’s growth with Dumex’s Baby Steps Journal here:
http://www.dumex.com.my/parents/post_natal/index.php

Do take into consideration that not all babies grow at the same speed though and it’s just a general guide (^_^)

No comments: