Friday, September 26, 2008

Baby's lunch into mummy's tummy

Inspired by a blog I was reading, I started sourcing for recipes of toddler age-appropriate meals and took notes of what I'd make for AN next week.

For lunch today, I thought I shall make her something western. Fish and spinach pasta!

While she slept, I started preparing. Boy, this one meal was about as much work as cooking dinner (2 to 3 dishes-and-rice Singaporean dinner) for 2 adults (+ AN who shares food with us lately)!

Of all the fish I've bought since we came, Sea Bass is the only fish that tastes good and surprisingly fresh for frozen. In fact it tasted almost exactly like Cod back in Sgp (and the Cod here tastes like my idea of long gang fish). And it tastes salty when cooked, even without seasoning.

So there I was, chopping up spinach, boiling water, cooking pasta and waiting for it to be done.

Meanwhile, she woke up (to my horror! She's been really sticky lately, screaming and crying for as long as I'm away in the kitchen preparing dinner...). Thank God everything's almost done.

Since she had to STICK to me, I had no other choice but to carry her while I pan-fried the fish, and then stir fry the spinach and pasta.

This was how it looked.


For all the efforts, I was hoping that she'd eat more than usual.

Sadly, she did not. She was more interested in feeding me. "Poke! Poke!", she said. She wanted me to put pasta on her plate so that she could poke it with her fork and feed me with it. And she watered the pasta with the bottle in her hands. Can you believe a mother can actually eat tablescrap-looking food like this when her baby feeds her this? Poor me...hehe.

Daydreaming...she reserves daydreaming for meal times to keep herself entertained. When not daydreaming, she'll be demanding to "Poke!"

-___________--"

She probably finished only 20% of the pasta. And coz fish is good, I gave up feeding her more pasta and kept giving her fish instead. Was glad she finished almost all the fish. Oh, that tiny portion of chopped spinach at the side? She finished those. The portion was only about the size of a lady's thumb by the way.

I wanted to give her diluted apple juice (she doesn't like apple juice...), but she rejected me flat after the 1st sip...

So, so, so....

I was disappointed :(

But on a more positive note, she is getting better at 'poking' the food on her plate and feeding me. If it's Cheerios, she will feed herself and is also getting better at directing food into her mouth with fork & spoon.

What then happened to the rest of the pasta? Answer is somewhere in this post. No prize for guessing right. ;p

No comments: