Thursday, July 2, 2009

Fever summary

AN is teething, thus the fever (although every article I read tells me that teething should not bring fever, these articles also say that experiences by mummies suggest otherwise...so what do I believe?).

Anyway, she's not had cough or flu, threw up only 2 times coz she hated the medicine (it's grape flavoured...quite tasty wor) and has since recovered from her fever. So the piggies are not involved. Thank God! And thanks for the prayers (Chloe how are you???)!

The only thing that's bothering her now, and bothering her terribly, is cutting of her 2nd molar on the top left of her gums.

It was blood the 1st time (on the dropper of her medicine) and I felt it with my fingers. Yesterday when I felt it again (to apply the teething gel), part of the molar has emerged. Poor baby, and poor us.

Here's a summary of the 'ordeal' (thank God it's only 4 days of fever and no blocked nose/coughing so it's a little less traumatising for her):

Saturday
- Fever started and stayed around mid-38 deg C
- She couldn't sleep well in the night but had no problems suckling herself to sleep

Sunday
- Fever was high, peaking at 39.2 deg C
- She kept digging into her mouth and whines periodically (I guess when the pain comes on and off)
- She couldn't suckle at night (she'd gag when she tried to suckle). Being unable to suckle made her grumpy but guess she was tired, so after a little whining and crying each time, she'd fall asleep again on her own

Monday
- Fever went down a little
- The teething still bothered her (I felt a bump on the gum but no sharp edge of her molar yet)
- She could sleep better (and suckling wasn't too much of a problem)
- Took her weight and got a shock of my life! It was 8.2kg! She lost 1.2kg over 3 days??!!

Tuesday
- She recovered from fever by afternoon
- Took her weight again and *phew* it was 8.9kg. She's lost 0.5kg over the 4 days but 0.5kg is better than a weight loss of 1.2kg anytime (that would be my equivalent of 5.7kg weight loss over 3 days)
- Teething woes seemed to have gotten worse (she'd whine and cry more often than few days ago and dug into her gums a lot, crying each time she did that)
- Sleep was almost non-existent for all of us. She couldn't suckle and couldn't sleep. She didn't want me to comfort her either and Mr Liow had to rock her to sleep. He had to do that at least twice last night, and still go to work this morning.

Wednesday
- Her body temperature has stabilised (although seemingly higher than usual but it could be a different reading coz of the new thermometer)
- 2nd molar has cut through but not totally yet
- There's a little bleeding on her top front teeth when I finger-brushed them this morning...this I don't understand (can anyone advise if any of her other teeth will be affected by the new molar?)

And It's my turn now. Everything's spinning a little as I'm typing this and had thrown up once this morning. Please pray for me. I need strength, health and patience to take care of this teething toddler.

No comments: