Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Blabbering baby

A young kiddo who's in the midst of learning colours, alphabets and numbers is a potential hazard.

We were outside shopping yesterday and AN was wandering by herself. She saw a negro (pardon me if this word offending. I've checked on Wikipedia to make sure this is no longer a racist slur) and then went: "Mummy look! Black black uncle!"

I pretended not to hear her and she said it again in a louder voice to make sure I heard her: "Mummy!! Look! Black black uncle!"

I was glad she was snacking, else she would have pointed.

She came to me and I told her it was wrong to say the uncle was black but when she asked me why, I couldn't give a reason. She asked me: "Uncle, blue colour huh?"

I told her the uncle was a different race but I did not expect her to understand. Obviously she did not mean to be racist but I was afraid she was offending the gentleman.

Lately, whenever she sees anything in black (especially when she watches her DVD on shapes and spots black shapes), she would go: "Black circle [or whatever shape it is on the screen]. So scary". Was I glad she did not say the 'black uncle' was 'scary'.

What should I teach her about the race? Is Afro American correct? Or Negro? I NEED SOME HELP!

Once upon a time when Hannah (The Yoong's firstborn) was about AN's age, she also pointed at an Indian when I was carrying her and she went: "Auntie Judy, look at the 'ah bu neh neh'"

Faint.

I pushed her hands down and ran away with her (both of us were looking for the TP gang then coz I took her for a stroll and the gang actually left before we came back!).

Now my own daughter.

I'm going to get boxed in the face one fine day if anyone decides to not be pleased with being called names by kids who are in the process of learning.

No comments: