Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Baby Number 2

We're back from seeing the gynae!

It's fun to start all these doctor visits again. By the grace of God, junior no. 2 is fine, and wriggly!

It is 2.15cm now at 8 weeks and 3 days old. If it is to be a full term baby, it will arrive planet Earth on 2nd October 2010. It's an odd date. Doctor said the machine showed me to be 3 days more pregnant that I think I am, but 3 days are no big deal. True. AN came 3 weeks before expected.

I had thought my EDD to be end Oct and was surprised it is to be this early. We have my bro's birthday on 7th Oct, Baileys' on 11th Oct, my dad's on 13th Oct, my FIL's on 14th Oct and ah girl's on 24th Oct. Was wondering if this junior will hit another 'taken' birth date. Maybe 1st Oct which happens to be Children's Day in Singapore will not be too bad too. At least for the 1st twelve years of its life, it gets a day off from school on its birthday.

Ok, how's seeing the doctor here different from back home? I needed a pap smear today, WHICH HURT LIKE MAD!! I HATE PAP SMEAR, and I don't recall having done one on my first visit to Henry Cheng 4 years ago. The first pap smear i did after giving birth to AN, I remembered it to be fast, even though it hurt just as bad. I REALL DO HATE PAP SMEAR!

And because it's still too early to be able to see the foetus by running the scanner through the layer of fats on my belly, I had to have something insert down there. *OUCH x 2*

While Mr Liow and AN stared at baby and Dr Rachel explained it's size and what-nots, I was trying hard not to remember that something sticking out from 'netherland'. It's uncomfy...but AN was amused by what she saw.

Dr Rachel was super reassuring with regards to me still nursing AN. She said her daughter is still nursing her grandson who's 3 days older than AN. She said exactly the same thing I keep hearing and reading: that at some point when my milk changes into colostrum, AN may not like it anymore. Like it is with Emma and Danielle now. She asked me to forget what AN's PD told me about force-weaning AN. She couldn't figure out how all the pros of breastfeeding originated from the baby doctors, yet they are the same people putting down the benefits of breastmilk. I can't say how much her comments reassured me about continueing to nurse AN!

After the checkup, I had to have my blood drawn for some tests. They drew 4 giant vials of blood from me! *OUCH x 3*

I didn't know I have 4 vials of blood available at one go! Each time I needed a blood test, the techs will need to find another vein to draw from coz the one they had been drawing from would have either dried up or slowed down.

I ALSO HATE BLOOD TESTS!!

The next appointment will be on 10th March, and every 4 weeks thereafter. I hope the next time we visit Dr Rachel, I will be spared from all these 'poking' business. Already discussed with Mr Liow that if Dr Rachel needs to do a vaginal scan to see baby in 2 weeks, then I rather not see baby till 4 weeks after. Heartbeats mean just as much, does it not?

Oh yes, one funny thing Dr Rachel asked us was: "how long have you guys been together?" We told her we got married in 2004 but wondered if she meant to ask when we started dating, which will have been 13 years this June. She then rephrased her question and asked when we had 'xxx' for the first time. She said most Americans will understand the question as it is. In our case, it takes a more direct approach. Hehe.

Also, I was told to strip bottom down, and given a folded up piece of disposable towel to protect my modesty after stripping. I opened up the towel and found it to be a long but slim piece of towel. I could only cover as far as my upper thighs, so I did not strip everything bottom down.

When Dr Rachel came in and saw me looking wierd in that tiny piece of covering, she took it by the corners and gave it a good shake. It became a large piece of towel -____________-"

How e.m.b.a.r.r.a.s.s.i.n.g.......

That's all for just those few hours. Dr Rachel was nice! And I am so thankful she's encouraging when she learnt that AN is still nursing. I had been praying for a Gynae who's pro-breastfeeding. Thank God she is!!

Here's junior no. 2. EDD according to the machine is at 29th Sept 2010, baby at 8 weeks 6 days old is 2.15cm

1 comment:

min said...

amazing! like astronauts in outerspace..ahaha