Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Petty me

When I started breastfeeding AN more than 3 yrs ago, it wasn't easy. Both our mums didn't think much of breastmilk but thankfully, it was Mr Liow's aunt who helped with my confinement and she let me do what I had to.

It was during weekend when Mil came over that was the struggle. It started with lots of explaining why breastmilk is best but being countered with how its going to be easier and 'better' for baby to take formula. Not to forget, no water for baby. Again, it didn't seem humane to her, so she gave, ignoring us. That was then.

But all those were past. Our parents have witnessed how healthy AN was in her 1st year and are 'converts'.

It was weird though that when I was chatting with Mil last weekend about her sister being rather discouraging towards the daughter's (Mr Liow's cousin) attempt to breastfeed. I commented that it is hard when the mums do not understand our desire to nurse but then, most mums feed formula milk in the past. It's tough too, to change the mindset they have that formula is best. I'm not against formula milk. AN was on half half for her 1st few months of life.

Guess what she said? "I knew how good breastmilk is. I read a lot. That's why it was easier for you last time. Not like ps (Mr Liow's cousin)"

HUh?

How should I reply? That opened up an old can of worms. She had not been supportive at all when I needed the support at the very beginning. If I had not insisted, if Mr Liow was not supportive, I'd have given up.

Yet she remembered that she was one rare supportive Mil? No! She was not one then! She just gradually grew into our style and watching me nurse became natural after that! I would be thankful if she (and my mum) stopped suggesting formula then! Arrrghh...!

It's conversations like these that puts me off.

Is she really that forgetful? Or does she only want to remind herself (and whoever else) that she's better than she really is?

Maybe I'm just petty. Not that I want her to remember she had a part in making it hard for me then. I just don't like it that she thinks she had been very supportive right from the start!

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments: