Friday, June 20, 2008

Feeding ourselves, and Little Adrielle and Baileys, and Maen.

It's not easy when it comes to feeding AN now that we are in a foreign land.

We managed to get rice so I can still make porridge for her BUT fish is a novelty here.

Walmart sells a very limited variety of fish (mainly Tilapia & Catfish) and they are frozen. Not knowing what sort of fish is that, I'd rather not risk giving AN those, not till she's older. I've chanced upon frozen sea bass and cod fish in the freezer department one day and was elated coz cod is good fish, and cod tastes good. I've given her sea bass as well so it's another choice for her. I'd prefer fresh if possible but seems like fresh fish is out of the question here.

After trying out all the different brands of cod fish possible, the conclusion is, frozen cod fish taste yucky. :( Frozen cod is bland and tastes nothing like cod fish back in Singapore: faint sweetness. I think cod fish sold in Singapore were also thawed from frozen right? Why do they taste and look so different? Different temperature at which they were frozen?

On the contrary, frozen sea bass tastes a little like the cod fish I know of. It's wierd. Sea bass is more costly than cod fish here (I'm talking about frozen). I think it's the other way round in Singapore right? Anyway I think I'll b getting more of sea bass for AN here. Definately makes her porridge more appetizing.

Not only that, selection of vegetables in supermarkets are also limited. Probably coz I've been looking for familiar vegetables that we buy most times.

There was once I bought what looked like the purple-coloured Spinach for ourselves and thought of chopping some into AN's food. The 'spinach' didn't smell like spinach and I thought I better not. It smell more like a kind of herb than spinach and after stir-frying it, it got soooooo pungent! Both Mr Liow and I couldn't take the taste and threw the whole plate away.

And then last weekend at Lee Lee, I saw a proper labelling to the purple 'spinach'-looking vegetable. That was BASIL!! We almost ate a plate of basil when people use a few leaves of those at a time to add aroma to dishes. -_______-"

I've tried giving her bee hoon soup, minced meat (chicken, pork, turkey, beef), celery, cabbage, and some others which she's taken before. Other than beehoon soup, the rest were thrown in to make her porridge with (or with the bee hoon soup).

I'm seriously running out of ideas what to feed her. Porridge everyday sounds really boring, doesn't it?

As much as I think it's healthier to feed her homecooked food, I've also been giving her toddler food off the shelves once in a while so that she gets more interesting food besides plain old porridge.

Toddler food comes in large chunks that she can pick up and feed herself (I've not allowed her to feed herself yet tho. These food comes in broth and she'll definately drip the soup all over herself). Most are tasty (meaning: seasoned). hmm...

I'm looking at making spaghetti for her soon. Let me go dig out the baby recipe book.

BM? They get their usual kibbles and share home cooked dinner with us now. They get AN's dinners, or when I make soups with meat that I foresee Mr Liow won't be able to finish, they automatically benefit.

Baileys looks healthier now, and Maen has lost the weight she put on at Camalot. Mr Liow says I'm evil to put Maen on a diet (she eats half of what B eats since ages ago what..). hee.

No comments: