Sunday, September 28, 2008

Baby as boss

Waiting on a baby is as good as serving a boss who NEVER appreciates your efforts, no matter what you do and how much efforts you put in.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Friday
It was Pumpkin & Sardine Soup with Semolina Pastina last evening for AN's dinner. Instead of adding salt/ sugar for taste, I added a little roasted garlic & herbs. The sardine was wood smoked and came in spring water. It was a little salty by itself, and with the natural sweetness of pumpkin, I saw no need for salt. Plus I cooked it with beef stock, so it's supposed to be busting with flavor! Of course if it's for ourselves, it'd be better with a little salt. But for baby, not necessary.

As expected, AN turned her head away from it. ANYTHING that doesn't resemble noodle soup or porridge (and lately, rice), she will not give it a second look. Mr Liow & I had to coax her quite a bit to get her to try before deciding if she would consider eating it or not.

While she kept turning away from my offer, Mr Liow suggested if I would want to add a little sugar. hmm...It didn't sound encouraging to me there and then. Was I suppose to take it that he meant the soup didn't taste good?

He tried it and said it tasted bland. It was made for baby. It was meant to taste like everything that's in it. Ok, I know I was too sensitive. The disappointment just kept building up, you see..

After AN finally took a spoonful, and a second, she decided she quite like it and finished everything. The portion was rather big, I must say. I was glad she finished everything.


Saturday
I really put in effort ok? Of all the pancake recipes I retrieved, I decided to start with a simple one. It was just flour (all I had was all purpose, so I used it), egg and milk: Pancakes for breakfast.

The recipe did not call for salt or sugar, and I figured it'll really taste bland if I did not add anything in the mixture, so I pinched a little salt, and threw in a teaspoon of sugar.

It still tasted bland, and looked nothing like the hotcakes in Mac.Donald's :'(

The recipe said it was for 2 pancakes but for whatever reasons, I came up with 5. So I kept 2 for Mr Liow and 2 for myself. If AN could just finish ONE (or part of the) pancake, I'd already be very thankful.

I drizzled honey on all of ours, including AN's (just enough to have it taste less like plain cooked flour product).

Again, AN rejected the pancakes, no matter how we coaxed her.

Mr Liow, again, meaning well, suggested "I think she doesn't like it."

That was the last straw... You know, the baby's rejection is bad enough. To say anything else will only be just adding on to the already piling disappointment.

So, I gave up feeding her. I ate her portion and my own. And not being to control myself, I teared..

That was so sissy, I know. She's a baby, and doesn't understand what's going on. Besides her, I have this nagging thought that Mr Liow also thinks the food I make for AN taste nothing like human food.

He did and still does try very hard to help coax, nag, 'force' AN to eat tho. I appreciate that. I guess it's more of my own negative thoughts that drove me to tears.

We lunched out at Miss Saigon in the afternoon, and she had some noodles, to my relief. Not as much as she always does tho. Mr Liow & I then came to the topic of making AN's food tastier. I will, but not with salt and sugar. Let me see what else I can do.

Dinner at home was Broccoli & Sardine with Bee Hoon Soup. That was the usual type of dinner (soupy noodles/ porridge)she gets when it's nothing fanciful (not that her past few day' menu was fanciful, just that they were food combinations she's had for the 1st time). She wasn't too keen too... WHY??

I fed her more soup since she wasn't keen. At least she finished a tiny portion of the bee hoon and most of the soup. Again, better than nothing.

Monday
Bread dipped in milk. I can't take more rejections, so it was a simple but nutritious breakfast. I got her Hi-Iron bread (for kids. It's also high in clacium & fibre).

You guessed it, she wasn't interested. Took a few pieces and that was all.

I still have more on the list that I have in mind to give her but...

Ok, I'll persevere and try till she's gotten used to eating new stuff.

No comments: