Thursday, February 26, 2009

To the library and back

Brought AN to the library today with my folks.

It wasn't a long drive, only rather unfamiliar but thank God for the invention of GPS!!

We reached there safely and I managed to park (hehe. I've managed to park in 1 attempt for the past week after I wrote about my disappointment. Thank God for hearing me!)

AN is very new to the library and spent some time orientating herself being surrounded by sooooo books (and so many other kids in the children's book section). She was more interested in the one and only toy that was there and waited patiently for a little boy to finish playing (or at least be willing to share the toy with her).

Got to speak to a Filipino lady who's babysitting a boy 2 months older than AN and she knew the moment I mentioned we were from Singapore, that my hubby is attached to the US army.

We were specifically there for the Toddler Story Telling session that should start at 10.30am and got in on time.

The reading session was fun with not only story telling but sing-along activities as well.

AN was a little tensed and stayed beside me for the 1st few minutes but ventured away to join in the fun once in a while after she was a more comfortable.

She wasn't exactly interested in the story (some toddlers were really participative and offered their own versions of the story the librarian was telling while some, like AN were more interested in walking around) but when it came to songs, AN would run back to me so that I could join in the fun as well.

It lasted 30 minutes and then we left.

AN wasn't too willing to leave and fought to be placed back onto the car seat but thank God she was restrainable. She fell asleep before I even realised she was sleepy.

The journey home was more of a challenge than the trip there.

1stly, the road we came in to the library by, was 1 way traffic (meaning I couldn't go back where I came from, which would be definately more familiar since we came in from there).

And then at the crossroad, Mdm GPS asked me to make a left turn at a wide and busy road which I had no guts to, so I made a right turn.

The view in sight was magnificently foreign (and so my heart started racing faster). I kept going straight while Mdm GPS asked me to make left turns. I decided to make another right turn, reverse and then get out onto the 'left' that Mdm GPS kept insisting that I so obey.

I saw my dad start to look worried and then held on tight as I turned. I could almost hear his fear. hehe.

Once on the right path, or should I sasy, 'left', the rest of the way home was simple. If only I dared make the left turn right from the start *knocks myself on the head*

We got home safely and I felt rather proud of my own venture out from the usual routes. hehe.

I had to clarify with my parents that I DID NOT LOSE MY WAY because I was very sure they thought I was lost. True enough, both acknowledged that they thought I was going the wrong way.

Dad suggested I follow the GPS' instructions even after I was frank I dared not (and that by going the way I did, we could still get home and we did). I had to show him what I meant by not 'daring' coz it was too wide a road with a 'death lane' separating both directions.

I can't let myself be held back by suspicions that my dad is convinced that I'm a lousy driver, even if I'm new.

So, that' my adventure of the day. hee.

Next on the list will be to Gymboree which is just as unfamiliar (to me) and slightly further.

*phew*

No comments: