Wednesday, June 24, 2009

For every bad day, there has to be a good one

AN was extremely good yesterday.

I think it was coz I hit her on the head (many times) with a ball the day before. Please don't get me wrong, I did not do it on purpose. She was learning to catch but I couldn't throw a ball properly and 90% of the time, the ball landed on her head. (That was what Mr Liow had been bugging me to blog about: That I had been throwing a ball on her head. ;p). But she could catch properly when it was Mr Liow throwing. I better stop training her and let the papa do it before she developes a crushed confidence wondering why she could never catch a ball properly.

Let me come back to the topic of baby behaving very well yesterday.

Preparations before cooking and the cooking takes about 3 hours usually coz I'd shuffling in and out of the kitchen to keep her company in between dishes. She will patiently wait for me most of the time but not for 3 hours. She will then start to whine for me to carry her (which I can't, unlike the past when I could sling her and she would not try to grab my knife or move around). I'll pick her up and show her what I am doing if I can but when I can't and try explaining to her why not, her mood makes the decision as to if she wants to listen to me.

When she's all cranky, she will not listen and starts whining, which will frustrate me after a while, causing me to tell her off and make her cry even louder...and sometimes things turn ugly with me locking her out of the kitchen and her screaming madly in the living room. Very nerve-wrecking. VERY VERY nerve wrecking to cook with a screaming baby!!!!

But there has to be good days.

She came into the kitchen and told me she wanted to watch "Shrek" while I was chopping garlic. I asked if she had already placed the DVD in the player and she said yes. I checked to make sure it wa the DVD she wanted in the player and saw that it was, so all I had to do was get the player to play.

Then I went back to chopping and cutting.

AN watched for a short while and told me again, "Mummy I want watch Shrek". I replied that she was watching "Shrek", so she kept quiet and continued watching. After a good 5mins or so, I realised she meant that the movie was not playing. I had to get it to "Play". It was DVD, not VCD. I forgot!

True enough, she was staring blankly at the intro screen with the Donkey bouncing around saying "Pick me, Pick me!"

My little darling did not bother me to get it to play for her (I believe she would if the movie didn't start soon but she wasn't whiny or upset about it!). I got it to play, gave her a hug, she hugged me back and I told her I had to go cook. She said good bye to me and gave me a flying kiss. hehe.

I went back into the kitchen to continue with my stuff and looked out to check on her once in a while.

Then I saw her diapers on the floor! I thought she got bored and decided to play with diapers (must be maddening bored coz she never takes her diapers off just to play with them).

Wrong!

I looked further and saw her sitting on her potty. She saw me and told me "Mummy I pee pee".

Oh my....she's growing up...she's putting in efforts to be independant.

And she did pee. She continued with her movie after he business (I washed her hands after she was done before she went off again). When she saw her pee was still in the potty, she went to put the cover over it and told me "Mummy I cover".

Couldn't resist leaving things aside for a while and gave her a big hug for being that sweet last evening.

I got to cook in peace yesterday, did everything without having to stop in between to attend to her.

So, I have to remind myself over and over and over again that despite AN's tanthrums sometimes, she can also be a well behaved toddler. She's only this young and tanthrums are unavoidable (even for adults). Praying that I will be able to control my temper during bad days instead of expecting AN to make the first move. Praying that the one good day out of a few bad ones will be give me strength to last me through the next few bad days till it's good again.

Then again, she's not always bad..

Seems like one bad day out of many good is bad enough for me.

I'm the one with the problem. sigh..

No comments: