Sunday, June 14, 2009

Raw frozen, Raw dehydrated, Grain free

There are more choices nowadays.

When BM were young, I only had to study ingredient lists to ensure kibbles do not contain allergy causing food and supply good amounts of proteins and omega oils (and fats for Baileys).

Azmira proved to be the best for both of them and for about 2 years, they did pretty well on that.

We had to change their food after arriving in Tucson. Given that Petsmart seems to monopolize the pet supply market in Tucson, kibble choices were seriously limited. I didn't want to order their kibbles from online coz I can't be sure how kibbles will arrive. Every item I purchased online arrived HOT in their boxes. Just don't feel easy having their kibbles arrive hot too. At least not HOT when the pack arrives at our doorstep.

Managed to find Ok Pet and Horse Supplies by chance online and till last weekend, I could only dream of a visit. They carry lots of quality kibbles!!!!! We were there 15mins before they closed so having little time to browse, we paid for Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit and left.

I love doggiesite for always giving me information that I need. Hehe. I'm sure Baileys and Maen love this site even more.

It seems NV and Wellness are not the only ones who make grainfree kibbles now! From DS advertisers, I learnt of brands like Orijen, Acana and Taste of the Wild. For now, both will stick to NV for grainfree diet, because I am still thinking BARF (since rocks ages ago).

Nowadays there are even commercial BARF and my ancient concern, about not being well versed enough to give them a complete diet if I were to switch them, should not concern me now. Commercial BARF comes completed! Thaw and feed! Expensive of course, but definately best for the furkids. Salmonella is still a concern tho.

Seems like there are currently 2 brands in Singapore for commercial BARF, but many more in States. Still if I order online, I worry about compromising quality of these frozen raw meat patties coz remember, goods arrive hot at our doorsteps..sigh.

So today Mr Liow drove us to Ok again (thanks Dear! And thank God for Ok). They actually carry 3 brands of raw frozen food!!

The lady was kind enough to answer starter stage questions and gave me brochures for more info. There were 4 brochures she gave but one of them seemed to have forgotten to state its brand. Quite silly of whichever company that is to have done advertising and forgot the most important thing.

So, reading up and comparing nutrition + affordability started once home. Thank God AN was quite accomodating today so I had at least time to print out info that I'll start to compare in a while. I'm also looking at Dr.B's patties (which I'm hoping to trust coz it seems only BARFWorld.com supplies their own patties unlike all the other brands from different online stores all over the states).

It's good to keep myself busy and not focus on negative thoughts. Mr Liow was supportive of these additional expenses on BM (he does surprise me many times coz he hardly ever behaves like he cares for them). So little acts like him getting nutritious treats for them without my recommendations or in my absence, or him investing in more costly ones, touches me. He just bought BM a pack of CET chew at the vet's last week after their jabs for $9 which seemed a little costly to me.

Lastly, coz BM are having increasingly worse tar tar buildup on their teeth, I'd been giving them another type of chews, also from CET. Mr Liow asked for a quote frm their vet with regards to dental scaling and the amount was... Wowly ex. We'll bring them back to have their teeth cleaned next year, if that is still necessary, BECAUSE when I checked them just 2 hours ago, maen's canines were clean!!!!! Baileys' has a dirty canine tooth left and the rest of his teeth looked fine!

Makes me wonder which was the miraculous cure. CET from vet, online ones, or NV Rabbit?

Hee. No wonder they stink less lately and Baileys kept bugging Mr Liow for kisses since 2 days ago. Seems like he also knows he deserves kisses for stinking lesser now?

No comments: