Saturday, August 22, 2009

The grown up toddler

AN's insistence to do everything by herself gets on my nerve at times but I know that she learns to be independant by doing all these on her own. It's exciting to watch her perfect a skill one after another :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She started wanting to feed herself shortly around the same time she started walking and I mostly gave her a little food to try while feeding her the main portion. By now she's able to feed herself properly BUT she eats soooooo slow I end up feeding her after we're done with our own meals.

This princess eats rice by the grain, noodles by the strand and every other food by its single count. You can imagine how long that will take if she is given the freedom to feed herself totally.

And the toddler chooses which cup she wants to use. She also wants to get water by herself (we are using a water dispenser. Press and hold, water flows out).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nowadays we have to start preparing way in advance if we had intention to go out. That's because AN wants to prepare for herself as well. She wants to take off her own clothes, takes her time to choose what she wants to put on, wants to get her new pair of pampers/ training pants and sometimes even insist on putting them on by herself. She can, with training pants but not with pampers. Takes a little reasoning to get her to understand why she won't be able to get her pampers on by herself without help. And not to forget, she wants to choose her own shoes too.

Baileys and Maen gets bones to chew on when we are out, and AN wants to be the one to give them those bones. They do not obey her and it takes a while to get them to wait for her to leave the bone on the floor before they are allowed to take the bone. Given the freedom to do what they want, they will be jumping all over AN.

I'm again very blessed that BM are not aggressive and even though they badly want those treats/ bones in AN's hands, they will not jump onto her. Neither will they snatch anything from her hands. The very most that happens when they get near is, they lick her fingers together with the yummy treats/bones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AN likes to observe everything we do and say and try to imitate. She learns that way. For a while, I was worried that her attention span seem really short and she doesn't like to sit and watch me flash cards or listen while I teach. She has no patience for me to finish a whole story when we sit and reach together, and will always go for stories that she's familiar with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh yes, not to forget, AN saved me from being locked out of the house just now!

I needed to get our pail that got blown away by strong wind and tried to close the sliding netted door as lightly as I could. This sliding netted door at the back patio has a loose lock that drops and locks itself if one slams it close too hard.

Cautious as I tried to be, I still got locked out! My phone was in the house, Mr Liow was at work, and Liansee (Mr Liow's colleague's wife that stays across our) has gone back to Singapore!

AN was eating cheese and looking at me, wondering why I was staring at her. I was praying really hard that AN would be able to open the door for me. She might not be tall enough and she might not know how to unlock the door.

Guess what? I asked her to help me open the door and being the independant enthusiast, she left the plate and cheese on the table, tip toed and gave the latch a little tug.

AND THE DOOR WAS UNLOCKED!

I believe it's moments like these when AN felt she was able to do things us adults can do that makes her insist otrying everything out for herself. She must have enjoyed the praises, and the feeling of achievement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AN was watching downloaded Ice Age 3 on the computer (attached to the TV) while I was in the kitchen preparing lunch one day. I took longer than the show lasted so AN came into the kitchen to look for me and upon seeing that I wasn't done, went out and did her own stuff.

Once I was done, I went out and noticed she was watching Happy Feet!

I asked what happened to Ice Age and she told me: "Ice Age finish already. I switch on Happy Feet myself. Adrielle so smart." And then she gave me a smug look.

Be it confidence, lack of humility or simple innocence, that was quite a cute thing she said of herself. hehe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday now beside praying that AN will not be too stubborn, I also look forward to what AN has up her sleeves to surprise me.

At this age, she's just irresistibly adorable (minus those tantrums)

No comments: