Sunday, August 16, 2009

New Friends!

I brought AN to Gymboree today and bumped into a little girl, Emma and her parents. Emma is about 7 months younger than AN and the girls used to be in the same Art and Music class of Gymboree till AN turned old enough to join the older kids.

There were the usual greetings and "Oohh Emma's so cute!", "Ooohh, Adrielle's so sweet" comments but I hardly spoke to Emma's mum (Danielle) in depth.

It was a pleasant surprise bumping into them at the same class today. I realised I missed AN's previous 'classmates' after she moved on. It seemed like there were more in common, or rather I was able to chat better with their mums (even if our conversations revolved only around the toddlers). I take a long time to warm up to strangers and just when I felt warm enough, it was time to move on -____-" Oh well, Gymboree wasn't for me to make friends in the first place.

Emma is a smart toddler. Very smart toddler. She was able to sing and speak quite well when we got to know her. She was only 18months then, and I was totally surprised when Danielle told me Emma's age. She behaved like she was AN's age (and AN like her age of 18months old then: Silent). She's super socialable and went around hugging the other mummies and even called some of the kids' by their names. Wow...WOW! Danielle said she has siblings and children with siblings learn faster. I sure hope I am not impressed by Emma because AN is slow (average is good enough for me).

AN was jumping around happily in class today and seemed to have caught the attention of Danielle and hubby, and another elderly gentleman who brought his grand-daughter to class. They commented that AN is a good jumper. They probably thought AN is a good jumper for her 'age' and that she is less than 28months. haha!

Danielle and hubby asked if I bring AN to any gymnastic classes as they watched her jump (from slide to mattress, from one soft 'frog leave' to another, up the 'air-log' into the barrel . Nope. AN learnt to jump from Gymboree and practises it a lot at home, that was all. hehe. And when they heard AN sing, they had the "OMG" look, as if AN was some super-kid. Only after clarifying did they realise AN was older, thus 'smarter'. They are so sweet for still insisting that AN is smart. But being the humble Singaporean that I am, I went "no la, you better, you better.". Not those exact words, but you guys know how you will respond too if you were me, right? hehe. Moreover Emma caught my attention since the first time I saw her (and I kept repeating to Mr Liow how smart this 18month girl in AN's class was)

After classes were over, Danielle told me about the playgroup that some of the mummies in their class (AN's previous Art & Music class) has formed. They sometimes meet up during weekends too and asked if I'd like to join them.

YES! I WILL LOVE TO!

Emma's dad also said that they will be having a birthday party for Emma in Sept (I distinctly remembered the date but forgot it once we got into the car...hmm...was it...20th Sept?) and invited us to join them. Theywill be having one of those big air castle for the kids and he said AN will surely enjoy herself jumping. Danielle got my email address and will send me the details (of the playgroup meetings and Emma's birthday party I guess).

OMGoodness..

My first ang mo friends. After 1 year and 4 months in Tucson, I finally found some ang mo friends. That really goes to show how slow I warm up to people, ya? So my dear friends, please do not forget me ok? If I lose you, I will have to move to an isolated island and live there all by myself forever. It wasn't easy finding you guys, so please do not leave me ok?

*Muacks*

No comments: