Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Down-curving

I've tried updating with pictures about our weekend but have not been able to complete it yet (no time, with the attention seeking human puppy and days out).

I've also tried to post some thoughts unsuccessfully (negative thoughts which I didn't manage to finish writing, all the better).

Now that I finally have time (Mr Liow took AN to Art Class *phew*), I thought I'd do quick updating on AN's progress (physically and potty) before I go cook.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We had 2 birthday parties over the weekend at swimming pools of the hosts' estates. Worried about not being able to bring AN to a toilet in time, she got to put on diapers on both days. Bad decision, but seems like this bad decision is the only way to prevent accidents.

After the 2 parties, AN seemed to have gotten used to diapers again and wet herself 4 times yesterday :(

Also complacency seems to play a part. Not me but AN.

She totally forgot and peed in her pants the first time. Fine.

The 2nd time she wet herself, I picked her up and asked her to "stop and hold the pee" while carrying her to the potty hurriedly. She managed to stop and released whatever was left in the potty.

Before she wet herself the 3rd time, I saw her 'freezing' on the spot all of a sudden and looking quietly at me. I asked if she needed to pee and having twice the experience of her wetting herself in the same day already, I quickly left whatever I was doing and carried her.

She stepped away from me and told me: "Mummy, I stop the pee."

-______-"

I firmly insisted she go sit on the potty but before she could reach it, I saw pee trickling down her legs.

She rushed to sit on the potty and smiled proudly at me: "Mummy, I can stop my pee! Yeah!"

AN had been rather difficult lately, extremely sticky to me (I don't know why!), fussy as usual when it comes to food, and rather temperamental!

By the 3rd time she wet herself, I had almost no patience left. She knew she had to go but she was trying to keep the pee inside!

I must have looked angry (I know I should not. I will try not to let her see me frown at accidents even if I cannot control my emotions the next time).

AN extended her arms towards me and asked for a hug while repeating: "Mummy, Adrielle can stop the pee from coming out. Mummy hug Adrielle."

To that, the heart softened (even though I was still pissed that I had just washed a sofa cover, cleaned the carpets and changed her twice before that already, all in a morning!).

I gave her a high five (while being very aware that I was still wearing a frown) and a hug but reminded her to go pee in the potty the next time without holding her bladder. She was satisfied with a hug (my dear girl...) and proudly went to tell the papa that she held her pee. AN didn't seem to realise she did 'leak'. hmm..

For the whole of yesterday, she did not initiate going to the potty. I trusted her when she said she did not have pee but after the 3 accidents, I insisted she go sit on the potty after an hour or so (if you remember the previous update, she could hold for up to 2 hours already). Even when I reminded her to go sit on the potty, she would try her luck at refusing ("Mummy I peed just now. I have no pee now.") but would pee when she sat once in the few times.

The 4th and final accident happened during her nap. She was woken up in the midst of sleep and went back to sleep. Something told me I better bring her to the potty before she fell asleep again but I ignored the 'voice' because I didn't want to disturb her rest.

True enough, she peed on the sofa again (the cover had just been washed in the morning and put back before her nap!) but thank God the blanket was under her and 'bore' the pee instead *phew*. It's easier to wash a blanket than a sofa cover!

She was aware when she 'leaked' and tried to hold her pee till we got to the potty where she released the remaining amount. Then she went back to nap.

I've read that kids do have accidents even after parents think they are already trained. Maybe I over-expected, maybe i'm tired, maybe it's just one of those bad moody days where one just is unable to be happy about anything, and then just about EVERYTHING has to go wrong. I felt so miserable yesterday.

But God is good.

AN finished her dinner by herself last evening. She would usually eat noodles strand by strand but happily gobbled them in scoops yesterday. I would have to take over after a little while usually but she finished every thing in the bowl by herself (except the soup which she said she didn't like). It was not much but it was the most food she put into her own mouth since she was born.

God never shortchanges.

And I received an email from Pam (our bible study leader) with an old attachment she probably forgot to remove, that was dated 2007. In it, Dan (the guys' BS leader) wrote: "In God, there is hope."

I am thankful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also, the last time I mentioned AN's weight, she was 10.2kg and did not drop below 10kg.

Soon after that, her appetite for milk (Pediasure & Parents' Choice) dropped and so did her weight.

She's between 9.7kg - 9.9 kg since then. :(

There's so much to worry about just one child. Will I be able to cope with 2 or more?

Not easy.

But in our Lord, there is hope.

Phillipians 4:13 - I can do everything through Him who gives me strength"

No comments: