Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Last Day of Gymboree and near end of our journey

This marks the end of our relationship with Gymboree. AN seems to be growing out of the classes anyway, so it was not hard breaking the news to her. In fact, most times now when I tell her about classes after breakfast, she would go: "I don't want to go."

She was the same this morning but I told her this would be the last and that she would have to say goodbye to Christian and Emma for the last time. She then willingly dressed up.

She made a dinosaur out of playdoh for the 2 kids. The usual AN at year 3 will make nothing for anyone. But on this day, she announced to me: "I'm making a dinosaur for my friends."

At the end of the class, Emma and AN even hugged.

The first time we attended a trial session in Gymboree, AN was only 19months. She loved the games and would get me to play with her. It was "ring around the rosies" at that time.

Then we started to meet the same families in classes and got to know them better. Emma was only 18mths when I first noticed her! She appeared smarter than 18months then. She was already speaking in proper sentences and very responsive. Very adorable and stood out in class. When I heard she was 18months, I got worried and wondered if AN was a slow kid. AN didn't like attention and remained very silent in classes and even though she is 5months older, they seem to be on the same level.

Christian was 16months then. The Christian now knows his colours and animals and is vocal in class as well.

As I took trash out just now, I couldn't help thinking about 2 years ago. Everything here was unfamiliar and I couldn't wait to go back to Singapore. I walked slowly around our block while AN was asleep (ah girl is around so AN wasn't alone). The air is dry, weather is cool (had been for the past few evenings), lots of bushes and trees but no proper walkway for people to walk on.

I see that mountain we wake up to every morning and images of it during the change of seasons appeared in my mind: how it was snow-peaked during winter and dry at other times. The tree in our patio that I kept talking about is now covered in pink flowers. It was brown and dull just months back. And when it was fall, Mr Liow would often complain about our never-clean patio. He sweeps our patio regularly but it would never be clean for long enough when those leaves fall.

The clouds of different shapes, the different coloured skies and the many colours that appear at the same time, even plants change colours and animals of all types... There is so much to miss.

I'm going to miss stepping out for a walk without the need to wait for the lift. I'm going to miss not having to walk far far away to get our car and if we forget to lock the car, we can do it from inside the house. I can do my grocery shopping with AN and take my time to bring those bags of foodstuff into the house while AN takes her own shoes off.

Once back, I will have to walk a distance holding those bags of food and make sure AN and the younger one do not run away from me. Even if I do drive, I'll have to walk a long distance to get home.

I am reminded of the high humidity in Singapore, time and again. One feels sticky ALL THE TIME.

Can't say enough of the same thing: Time flies..


No comments: