Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 14: Lung Infection

Mr Liow dropped us at Mt A's Kinderclinic this morning before going to work.

When the pharmacist called out AN's name to get info from me regarding the medications AN is currently on, I wasn't able to recall offhand. She looked at me like it was ridiculous of me to not know what I had been giving AN. My mistake to not have brought all those bottles of medicines even though instincts told me I should do that this morning.

I remembered paracetamol for fever and Dr Tan gave AN a dose to take while waiting for her turn. The pharmacist then told me I have to regularly give her the fever medicines (every 4-6 hourly). It's hard adjusting back now that I am a firm believer that fever is not a bad thing but I also agree that if giving medicines make AN feel more comfy, I should just give. Oh well...I'm just going to dose her according to instructions of the doctors here now that we're back. Do as Romans do.

Dr Tan checked and suspected AN had lung infections!! It was more serious than we thought. He arranged for AN to take an x-Ray and because I couldn't accompany her for the x-Ray, I was thankful my parents could. Thank God they came with us.

In States, Influenza (Flu) was treated based on symptoms (at least Dr Monica, before Dr Bean did nothing to test for Influenza when AN was still under her care). Here, AN was given a swab test and the results turned out negative: No flu.

2 more swabs samples were taken from AN's nose (from mucus?) to test for strep and something else. Can't remember too much info at that point and Dr Tan said he should be able to have the results by Wed or Thurs.

Her month long cough was not a cause for concern according to Dr Tan. He said we can do test to find out exactly what she's allergic to after we have settled this more serious issue.

He gave AN a stronger dose of fever medicine to be taken should her temperature exceed 39C and advised us to admit her if her temperature reaches 41C. I hope we do not need to.

Dr Tan prescribed Klyacid for the lung infection and advised that we stop the current one for the throat infection. So, AN is down to just 3 medicines (1 to clear her passageway, 1 for fever, and lastly, the antibiotics).

AN's behaving more active today than yesterday but she's still sleepy. She napped from 1-2pm, woke up when Mr Liow came home to check on her and asked to sleep again at about 4pm. She's asleep now.

Really am praying that she need nt be hospitalized at all for whatever reasons. Praying that her lungs will be cleared of the infection with Klacid.

I was glad Mr Liow came home. AN had been asking for him but he was not expected to be back till late tonight coz he was going to meet the contractor to get the tiles. She was so happy to hear his voice she sprung up in the middle of her nap, and she happily played with him. Daddy's girl. Hehe.

Was glad my parents were around just now too. Gave me lots of mental support. I just didn't want to tell them too much of what Dr Tan said because they, mum esp, will imagine the WORST scenerio. So I kept assuring them that everything is under control, which will be now that Dr Tan is in the picture.

I pray for healing.

No comments: