Monday, September 20, 2010

Announcing arrival of Ethan Ryence Liow Zu An

Our boy is born! He popped this morning 20/09/10 at 0910hrs. He didn't take long to pop out, clocking only 2hrs and 45mins since I first felt my contraction at 6.37am this morning, and after only 3 pushes. Here's a recount:

6.37am: woke up after feeling pain in my lower abdomen whenever tummy tightens due to contractions. It happened every 7-8 mins for 2 more times before I woke Mr Liow up.

7.48am: reached hospital. Contractions were abt 2-3 mins apart by then. Waited for Epidural doctor to arrive and relied on laughing gas to relieve the pain. Excruciating pain...I thought I may just die from the pain!

Everything else happened in a blur soon after coz the laughing gas made me lose focus. Pain was so bad I badly needed to puff the gas. I think I managed to gather from the conversation between the Epi Dr and the nurse that I was almost not in time for Epidural!! And at some point after it was administered (and I was still feeling deadly pain), I really thought I was dying and prayed that the Lord will help me tell Mr Liow, my parents,AN and BM that I love them. Hehe.

I could still feel the terrible pain with Epi but Dr assured me it was only 50% intensity. Mummies who have gone through childbirth with none of it, you have my utmost respect and admiration!! With each contraction, I could feel something trying to push its way out and suddenly I felt a pop and something falling out from underneathe. Nurse said my waterbag broke! PAIN!

Dr Henry Cheng arrived soon after, sat down for a short while and I asked if I should be pushing since he's here. The medical staff all replied at the same time "No"! hehe. Ok. Coz I could feel contractions this time unlike my first time and it is easy to tell when to push.

Was finally told to push. Once, two, three deep breathes and I hear a crying infant! Time was 9.10am. That was fast. I pushed AN for abt an hour with the help of the nurses who pushed my belly and Mr Liow pushing me upwards then.

This epidural experience was way less agonizing then my 1st. I only had shivering, no dizziness, nausea, chills or sleepyness. I'm still feeling energetic and awake by now, as much as I wanted to take a nap. Only my bottom hurts now, but nothing beats the contraction pains. At that point after ER popped, I was very sure we will not have a 3rd child. Mr Liow watched me through this whole agony and tearily said this will be the last. Hee. We'll see if I can find the courage again after a couple of years though.

Breastfeeding is relatively simpler than before too. Latch and suckle. AN has made it easier for ER to latch on now that my breasts are more 'seasoned'.

AN came abt an hour later with my parents and she loved her brother! She kept playing with him, touching him and smiling at him. She dares not come near me though. I don't know why.

Everyone has left. I'm supposed to sleep now before ER nurses again. Will try to :)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Congratulations! I've been following along on your blog for a long time now and feel like I know you! I'm so happy the birth went well, enjoy your baby boy!
http://sarah.thepuddle.com/