Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 2 as mummy of 2

ER was brought to me for feeds only twice last night so I was supposed to have enough rest but I didn't sleep much. Wasn't sleepy. Dr Terrence Tan, AN's PD as well, dropped by early in the morning to inform me that he's seen ER and that he is doing well except that he's got feet that are a little bent coz of his position in my womb. He said both feet will be back to normal with a little massaging which a therapist will be teaching us.

He got his jabs this afternoon after his feed at 10am (BCG & Hep B). He did not wake up for his 4hrly feed at 2pm, not even after Mr Liow tickled him everywhere, not even after the nurse changed his diaper coz he pooped and peed! He was in a deep deep sleep!

We finally managed to get him to wake up at abt 4pm to latch on but it took him 10mins of random suckling to fall back into another deep sleep. I tried to feed him on demand after that to make up for the lost feeds in between and he still didn't drink much. It could be the jabs that made him sleepy, maybe?

And I think my milk supply is coming in. Both breasts are full now. They will be getting heavier. ER is not drinking fast enough today though.

Since AN was around, I asked if she wanted 'mem mem' again. She was surprised I asked and said no initially. Then after some consideration, she said she will take the right side and leave the left for ER. Awwww....that's how sweet my little girl is...I told her that ER needs both sides coz he is not able to eat and drink anything else like she can so she has to share. She readily agreed.

As I hugged AN and nursed her again for the 1st time in 3 months, I was overwhelmed by emotions again... She is my 1st baby and just 3 yrs back, it was her in my arms nursing like ER. she did not have an easy time coz my nipples were not as flexible as they now are for ER to latch on to. Was so overwhelmed by love for her and she could feel it: she looked right in my eyes and stroked my cheeks. That moment was so precious.

In a short while, ER wanted to nurse again. This time, he sucked hard and well for 45 mins but no matter how hard he sucked (and how much AN drank from the other side, my breasts did not feel like they were emptied. I think they are only starting to fill up. I wanted to give ER milk from my right (which AN just claimed rights to) and the big sister was initially a little hesitant to share. I reminded her that Ethan needs 'mem mem' to grow and she went: "then you give him lor." She didn't mind at all.

Before AN left with Mr Liow a while ago, I allowed her to suckle for a little while more (she's my current breast pump). She drank and couldn't bear to let go (neither could I but Mr Liow had to leav already). Mr Liow was worried she may get addicted to suckling again. I guess I'll try to set some boundaries so that she still gets to share the good stuff with ER but doesn't get possesive over it. We'll see how it goes. I will want her to get the colostrum since she's not rejecting it. It'll do her as much good as it does ER.

I'll be discharged tomorrow. Life will be back to normal by then (no nursery to put ER back to when I need rest, no nurses to help me monitor him etc). My mum has been very encouraging about breastfeeding (I'm so thankful!) since My first time. She heard all the good things but knew very little about it's benefits but having seen how healthy AN was when she was BF-ed, she's now a convert. She will try help me out during the night to bring ER to my side when he needs to drink. We were worried she will get headaches coz she gets those when she gets disturbed sleep. She said she will try and assured us not to worry. Mil got us a part time domestic helper who will drop by out place everyday for 2 hrs to help mum out with the housework to lighten mum's 'load' for this month. Am thankful for the both of them and their thoughtfulness. I just pray the postnatal blues will not turn me into an ingrate again..

We'll be going back to mum's place to stay and move back home on Sat coz bed will only be in this Thursday. Till then, we'll try to figure out a formation to get rest at night.

Will upload pictures from tomorrow whennwe have time to :)

No comments: