Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sea Monkey

The first pet I ever had as a kid were Sea Monkeys.

Once upon a time, I never knew each country used different currencies. Neither did I know where USA is. When I got my Sea Monkey kit at the age of 10, all I wanted was see how Sea Monkeys grow as claimed. And even before I started step 1, I ordered all the other stuff I thought my pets might need along the way.

I sent my order by post, and along with my order, I sent cash: Singapore dollars. I sent them as much as I thought I needed to pay, minus the exchange rate. The highest I remembered about USD:SGD was 1:1.8 (some time in 1999). I spent my entire savings for a month on my to-be pets.

My order arrived in my mailbox weeks later. Everything I ordered were in the package, and I even got some more of those I did not order! As I grew older and re-read the instructions for ordering Sea Monkey accessories, I realised I was supposed to send a self-addressed envelope which I never did.

I did not just order once. I think I sent in my order the same way a couple of times more, at least, whenever I believed I did not have enough to ensure my pets had the best. And every time, every item arrived as I ordered. Everytime I received more than I ordered.

Then, I started growing my Sea Monkeys.

I was to purify the water first, and then add in live eggs 24 hours later. The following few days were days of anticipation! Everyday, I'd look into the aquarium to see if the eggs were hatched. Everyday, I would notice more and more super tiny, wriggly baby monkeys in the water. I would feed them as required (every 2 days).

I forgot what happened but my monkeys started to disappear after a week. I thought they died. It was almost time for school exams then and I did not have time to grow them again. Thought I would during the holidays but it was all fun and play, stayovers at our cousin's place.

Soon, I would look upon the empty aquarium, the mountain of Sea Monkey accessories and extra kit (purifying powder, instant eggs, and food) and tell myself that I would grow them again. That, I never did.

Till I grew up and we had to shift. I found them nicely stored in a little box. It was heartbreaking but I decided to throw them away. It had been many years afterall, and they probably weren't going to hatch or be usable in any ways.

BUT THE STORY DID NOT END THERE!

I kept telling Mr Liow how amazing Sea Monkeys were supposed to be when we saw them on sale after we started dating.

Years later (on 6th Jan 2010), the set he ordered from Amazon arrived!

So, here we go again!



Step 1: Purify the water with pack number 1

Step 2: Empty pack 2 (Instant live eggs) into water 24 hours later

Step 3: Watch out for baby monkeys which, according to instructions, should hatch in 2 days at the temperature of our home these days.

Step 4: Feed monkeys 5 days after emptying pack 2 (eggs). And every 2 days after that (which we will not be able to do because we will be going to Pinetop to experience snow end of this week). We will feed them a little more. It says on the instructions that if water turns cloudy, that would be because there are leftover food in the aquarium. Let the monkeys clear them up before feeding them again, so we supposed, we can feed them a little more before we leave.

See how adorable my baby monkeys are? Please bear in mind that Baileys and Maen are still our alpha pets, my fur babies, and nothing is going to take over their position in the family.





Will update as they grow older, if they do :)

No comments: