Monday, April 26, 2010

Gathering

It's been a few days since I last posted anything. The last I did, we were eagerly awaiting Mr Liow's homecoming. Time sure pass fast and it's been 5 days since he got back. Mr Liow had been so sweet as to remember that I told before he left San Diego for Tucson, that I had cravings for Rojak and he started asking around for rojak recipe. The next day after he got home, we went shopping for shrimp paste, pineapple, cucumber, youtiao and tao pok (the main ingredients for rojak, although there are many other variations with bean sprout, green apples, turnip etc). And then in the evening, we tried making it. Tasted a little wierd on our first attempt but Mr Liow continued to fine-tune it for the next few days and then we had a last minute invitation to a mini gathering which we always ended up only buying drinks instead of bringing food (coz I suck at cooking, and Mr Liow couldn't cook then).

This time, we had something to contribute and by Friday evening, we think we almost had it as identical to those back home. It's obvious we are not boasting of hawker standard but it felt right enough to present it to the others.

Saturday came and we had a good time at Ronald's home like we always did whenever there were gatherings. AN always enjoys herself with the jie jies. Danielle (Ronald's younger girl) found AN behaving a little differently this time, "older already" (in her words). Just months back, AN would allow her to carry her around or tickle her. This time, she had a mind of her own and if she didn't want to be carried, she would let the older girls know. I think Danielle missed the 'younger' AN. Kimberly said AN is like a doll coz she's small and light (sounds like AN is 'portable'. hehe. And I think the older girls like it that they can carry her around). Still, even though AN didn't want to be carried, she would still hang around them.

I sure appreciate the freedom of not having her hanging onto me all the time. I have lots of people telling me that she will be like a superglue now that I'm pregnant. Months ago, she didn't behave extremely needy but she is starting to prove the auntie right as time pass. She HAS to have me LOOK at her dance, eat, sing, paint and whatever, regardless of whether I am busy with anything else. Even when I was cooking or washing up, she would demand that I stop doing everything to join her, or watch her. For being overly insistent (to be precise, for shouting at me and commanding me to "COME HERE NOW!"), she gets punished (either a scolding or time out, depending on severity of offence).

So, anyway, the kids had good fun, the ladies had good fun (playing mahjong), the guys too had good fun (playing poker). Me plays nothing, so I watched TV and kept on eating. I love these gatherings because all the expert chefs bring yummy local dishes and these sessions satisfy my cravings to last me a while. I spent my time there eating.

There was a discussion after the guys were done with poker, a topic close to my heart. I will share in another post (because I write a lot and because I do not think everyone may be interested to read a picture0lessbook in one blog post).

Oh yes, before I end, I can proudly announce that our Rojak did rather well. We came home with a tiny portion left, out of 2 boxes that we prepared. I wiped out the remaining and felt it tasted superb.

When we go back to Sgp, either I or Mr Liow can make Rojak for potluck sessions already. Not that it's a neccessity since Rojak can be found almost everywhere...but still..hehe. Better than having nothing to offer mah, right?

No comments: