Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Stammering 3 year old

AN had been stammering lately and it's making me nervous (again).

She's been going: "I-i-i-i-i-i-i-i- ........want to (whatever activity she's thinking of)" or "A..a....a.aa......aaa....drielle wants to (whatever)". I noticed she mostly stammers when she's starting her sentence with "I" or "Adrielle", as of now (please do not let it get worse...)

Made me wonder if there was some virus she caught that's now attacking her brains.

The poor baby even told me after stammering a while ago (when she decided to give up telling me what she was thinking about): "Mummy, Adrielle cannot talk." You can imagine how bad I felt for her. I told her she can talk and that she's been telling me so many things, that she only needs to slow down when she's speaking and I am not hurrying her.

After doing a search online, I realised it's not uncommon (but it does not happen to every child) and unless it gets bothersome, many 2.5-3 years old go through this stage where their speech is unable to catch up with their overexcited brain (and even up to age 6). One speech therapist mentioned that if the stammering is not accompanied by stress, tension, unusual behaviors (e.g., blinking, facial grimaces, etc.), it's very likely "normal" and will resolve on its own. If other factors are involved, and it continues for a long period of time, a speech-language evaluation might be a good idea.

Some assurances and tips I get online (and I'm going to check with Dr Bean on AN's 3rd year checkup to make sure she's good):
http://www.stammering.org/parents_help.html
http://www.growingwell.com/bchild/behavior.htm#st
http://www.revolutionhealth.com/healthy-living/parenting/stuttering?msc=ehdlp_stuttering-3-year-old&section=section_01

No comments: