Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 23: AN at her best

She has to be spoken to about her attitude towards my parents at least once a day since a week after we came back. I'm glad that she's been watching herself today and so far up to this point (6pm), she had been rather polite with her speech and manners towards them.

Update about AN's weaning:
Last evening at about 6.30pm, she told me she was sleepy. It was too early for her to go to bed so I tried to distract her, till she insisted that she's going to fall asleep by 7.30pm. I took her into the room and she asked me: "Mummy, it's not night time yet. I can drink mem mem to sleep right?"

So there is a reason why she's asking to sleep so early!! Oh my goodness, this little rascal has actually been planning ways out of our rules!

I told her that it's going to be night and mem mem is only allowed for day time, mostly naps in the afternoon. She then decided that she is no longer sleepy and asked to go out to join the family in the living room. No, she was not sleepy at all, from the looks of how active she was the moment she stepped out of the room.

By night when it is finally time to sleep (about 10pm which is a big improvement from the past few days when she would only fall asleep near or past midnight), she was good and mentioned nothing about mem mem. We chatted for a while, she asked to have music from my Ipod touch and started moving to her music. In no time, she stopped moving much and soon, I was able to turn the music off.

And slept through the night without waking up to ask to suckle.

Seriously, there had been lots of changes that AN had to adapt to: weather change and cultural change (AN had been refusing to sit by herself at coffeeshops and foodcourts etc coz she thinks the seats/highchairs are dirty, and she puts her fingers in her ears sometimes and complains that it's noisy when we eat out, and not to mention, really dirty toilets that I'm also trying to cope with. Only toilets at shopping malls are of certain hygiene standard..). She's also learning mandarin from our families (and she's been replying bits and pieces of mandarin to my parents), learning to sleep without mem mem, learning to live in a totally new environment, learning to live with a fan (she hates it when the fan blows at her and is learning to get used to it), and soon, she will have even more to learn about sharing with her little brother and tolerating his cries whole day long, and school, and our place once it's renovated.

Sounds overwhelming for a 3 yr old.

I have to constantly remind myself to allow AN time to adjust slowly and not get overly particular when she acts up. I'd probably not be able to cope well too if I had to relearn everything all over again.

My girl's actually doing rather fine except for how she's reacting to more attention than she asks for (my mum's paranoidal restrictions over tiny issues). Pray with me for wisdom to train her in the right way to deal with situations with the right attitude.:

No comments: