Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I've been requested not to post some thoughts but it bothers me, very much.

Without revealing too much, I'm just going to voice out what a SAHM feels.

The last thing a SAHM needs, is criticism for her teaching methods, especially from people who have not lived with the family long enough, and does not even understand the child enough to know what the child likes to eat besides vege and mushroom.

Once upon a time, there was a mum who gave up her job to take care of her 2 children. And there was a mum who continued working and left her children to grow up without parental care. There are families who operate the way best suitable for their lifestyle. No one has the rights to tell the other family how wrong they are to be doing this and that. No rights at all. U are just an outsider when it comes to internal affairs, family or not.

A SAHM has to bear with the kids nonsense day in and out, right from the beginning of the day, till the child goes to sleep. The child goes through different periods of sleeping patterns and on some days, the child simply has too much energy to be tucked in, whether the parents are tired or not.

On some days when nothing seems to go the way the child wants, the child acts up and gets punished, be that a simple verbal warning, many reminders or time out. Not all situation calls for the same sort of punishment. And we are trying out what we can do at different times of the day, at different stages of life, targetted at different sorts of bad behaviour. Every course of action is personalized.

And then a SAHM has to worry about the child's education when the time comes, without having to relax on checking back constantly on the child's social and moral behaviour as well.

For all the hard work and sleepless nights put in, for all the researching from nutrition, to behaviour and punishment, from spending quality time with the child, to teaching the child to read and write, for every single thing a SAHM mum does for the good of her child, all the thanks she got was criticism and more criticism.

Our reward for staying home does not come in the form of good apraisal (in this case, it's plain shitty appraisal..I must be damn damn lousy, really!!). No bonus, no positive affirmation or encouragements. People prowl around to catch you at the slightest thing they disagree with.

I probably should consider working full time and blame someone else for my daughter's behaviours that are not acceptable, even if majority of the 3 year olds are going through this same phase as my child is. Isn't that so much easier? Push blame, point fingers. My child, I have the right to blame whoever is not up to my standard in teaching her to behave. Who else has the rights to judge me and tell me that I am torturing my child with time out and that what I'm doing is ineffective when they do not even realise what the punishment is for and when the behaviour is already corrected the way we did it?

Who are you who have never once been of any help in bringing my child up, judge the effectiveness of every single method I hv tried on my child? How many methods have you seen me use on her? How many methods of discipline have you used on kids you have brought up?

And I do not even use the cane on my daughter, yet people look at us in disgust, claiming that what we are doing is abusive and wrong.

Tell me, what is right? Tell me, what is right that works for EVERY SINGLE CHILD?

No comments: