Thursday, September 16, 2010

Adrielle Loves to Write

It's wierd that I have to be pleading with her to stop going on with her preschool workbook this evening...

I got her this preschool workbook for her to practise some writing, supposedly at her leisure BUT she liked it so much she couldn't stop going on and on. She finished 2 chapters this afternoon before her nap (I had to coax her to stop to have her nap) and asked to continue the moment she woke up.

It was dinner time, so she had to finish dinner first. She started on chapt 3 at 8am and carried on till she got to chapt 6. It was already 9pm by then, so I thought I'd slow her down by making her write her names on every pages of the chapters she completed. By 9.30pm, she was still enthusiastically writing her name but got distracted by the TV playing right in front of her so she couldn't remember how to spell her names and even mixed up her capital and small letters.

Thinking she finally got tired of writing, I suggested she stop and continue tomorrow but she refused and wanted to finish writing her names on every pages till chapter 6, and she wanted to carry on working on chapter 7 (she wasn't tired but I was. Hehe)

I told her to concentrate on writing if she really wanted to continue (since she was also distracted by the TV as well). She couldn't, so I suggested we go into the room so that she could go on with what was left to be done. Surprisingly (and to my dismay), she agreed.

Was glad our neighbours came home at about 10pm and AN was so excited to see her friends she agreed to continue again tomorrow!! That was 2 hours of writing! The book suggested a chapter a day and each chapter should take less than 30 mins. We spent 2 hours and completed 6 chapters in a day.

Sounds wierd that I'm 'complaining' about how enthusiastic my daughter is about 'schoolwork'. Let's just say I hope she continues to behave like that when she's formally enters into education with piling REAL schoolwork.

She was already like that when we started with her Kumon books back in Tucson. Those books were simply 'join the dots' or mazes for 3-4 yrs old and she loved them so much. It's probably good how these books are created to be THAT interesting to build up these little preschoolers' interest instead of forcing them to memorize and memorize.

Am anticipating another day of many hours of 'schooling' with AN tomorrow. I must show more interest than she is!

No comments: