Saturday, September 25, 2010

Checkup Day plus adjustments

It's ER's checkup today by Dr Terrence Tan and coz he is still looking a little yellowish, he needed a blood test done. He left the hospital at 6mg on Wed and jaundice level doubled today at 11mg. Still he's not at risk of being admitted (at 15mg). Dr Tan said he looks more yellow than 11mg coz he's fair and he said ER is going to be fair like his jie jie. Hehe. That aside, he has arranged for us to return on Tuesday for another blood test to ensure he's not going to get worse over the next few days. If results remain or drops, he'll need no re-admission to treat jaundice. Mr Liow had been praying that ER needs no hospitalization. He was heartbroken when he knew AN needed to stay in the hospital to treat her jaundice. In fact, AN looked much more yellowish than ER does at this point. Even the white of her eyes were yellowish then.

Thank God for keeping ER healthy and safe from this common concern. We trust that ER's jaundice level will not continue to rise.

ER sleeps a lot more than AN did. And he suckles hard but takes much shorter time than AN to unlatch after he's had enough. And maybe coz he's a fast drinker, his system couldn't keep up and he's throwing up (more like spitting out) milk more.

I felt he's drinking less than AN did but was surprised at today's checkup. He's put on 300g since he left the hospital. He's 2.85kg today and Dr Tan said one of the things doctors want to see in newborns is healthy weight gain (to gain back more than birth weight since infants lose 10% of their birth weight after 3 days.) besides a safe jaundice level. Thank God that ER is safe in these 2 perimeters at least.

As for mum, first days are usually hard. Mum couldn't find plates and bowls etc, keeps knocking into and spilling things, and placed food that she nEeded to cook into the freezer compartment by mistake. And she kept saying she isn't helping me much with ER and feels really bad. She really feels the pressure and fear that she will hurt ER. Assured her that it's all ok and that I'm experienced this time round. Her taking care of me is good enough to give me strength to peform my duties.

She kept suggesting that she sleeps with AN and Mr Liow can rest well but AN will surely not agree to have anyone else sleep with her. Even Mr Liow takes time to coax her now.

Mr Liow has been max-ing his energy everyday since Reno started and even up till now. He helps me with everything that AN needs since AN refuses help from my mum. He has to entertain AN till night time even if he's tired. Poor daddy...

I think I'm the only one enjoying myself now. Everyone thinks I ought to rest but I seriously am feeling more energetic than anyone else in the house now. I don't feel sleepy and I think I'm recovering from the pain down there pretty quickly! AN's birth took me almost a month. It's only a week now and I'm already feeling very little pain there.

Being a second time mum is so much easier (except that it gets challengig when AN becomes a 'no no no' girl). I think a number 3 shouldn't be too much to ask from me now. Hehe. Kids are indeed blessings that I've never appreciated. Seems like the more the merrier.

No comments: