Friday, January 14, 2011

Ethan Ryence at 3weeks into his 3rd month and my 'mummyhood' thoughts

He was able to grab his own hands since a couple of weeks ago, just in time to do the 'gong xi gong xi' for Chinese New Year, or so we thought. He's still doing it but lesser the past few days but he's grabbing everything else that goes near him.

He's grabbed my glasses when I put my face close to talk to him, grabbed my hair (easily, like AN used to) and my clothes too. hehe. And he looks at what he got in his hands, surprised and probably proud that his hands actually do something besides wave around uncontrollably!

He's able to turn to his side but not flipping yet. AN started flipping after her 4th month so I'm not too worried although it will be nice if he starts to show signs of flipping soon. A friend's son who was born same day as ER has turned (she said turn but seems to mean flip. That's so fast! So the KS-ness in me is a little hoping that ER will do the same soon. hehe.)

Baby Center suggests that ER should be able to push himself with his hands and lift his head up during tummy time. He's able to lift his head up but not as steadily as I imagine the article suggests he should be. But it's ok. A head lift is still a lift.

Dr Tan told us on Wednesday: "I'm sure by now you would have realised that boys are a little slower than girls." He remembers AN even though we didn't bring her with us to ER's vaccination-cum-checkup appointment. That's why we wouldn't mind waiting 3 hours for Dr Tan. He's like a friend (and he even said he's seen our kids grow since AN was a newborn and we're already friends)

I have noticed and do remember that was what I read in the baby books long time ago when AN was an infant herself. Still, it's only a little less than 4 months. Concluding that ER is slower than AN is a little unfair, to him.

Both of them are just, different: AN more cool, ER more smiley. AN more reliant on me, ER more on Mr Liow. AN very petite at 3% (still is) and ER fleshy at 75% (duno how it's going to be like when he starts semi-solids).

I think AN at this age was able to hold things well enough (hold and drop) while ER is still at the earlier stage of being able to hold. I may have remembered wrongly.

"They do catch up with girls later on in life". Dr Tan echoed what I remembered reading in those books too.

Here's a record of his growth:
Heigh: 61.5cm (Mr Liow said he saw 65cm and kept staring at the 65cm mark where ER's heels were but the nurse recorded it as 61.5cm..oh well..as long as he's growing.)
Weight: 6.4kg
Head circumference: 40.5cm

I've checked AN's booklet. ER is bigger in all physical aspects than AN at her 5th month checkup (likely even bigger than she was at an older age). This is his 3rd month checkup!

What remains the same with the both of them is, they are our bundles of joy.

AN at age 4 (this April) is a little more of a handful with her "I-know-it-better" and "I-do-what-I-want-to...NOW". But she tries to step out of that "stubborn" shell and when she does, she's an angel. And those things she says..I should compile them and quote them back to her when she grows up. Mr Liow wonders who taught her to say things she said. It's the Lord who created intelligence and she's just reflecting His work by listening, processing and then speaking (and acting). So it's important we model only good and right things, say only kind words. I struggle in this area, especially when she upsets me. But I will not give up trying.

ER? His smiles, his baby talk, his gazes...aww....I never thought I could fall in love with an infant. AN was not easy because she was our first. And it's no joke getting no sleep, getting sore, cracked and bleeding nipples from nursing for the first time, handling an infant for the first time. To be fair to AN, if she was my 2nd baby, I'd be having an even easier time than I am having now because AN was actually an easier baby than ER. But it's easy to fall in love with an infant now because of experience. I can handle the 'unexpected' fast enough to realise how adorable little babies are! Best thing is, they do not reason with you even though their reasoning makes no sense sometimes. hehe. He "gooos" and "gaaas", asks me "how are you?" and replies "gooooood" when I ask him back. hehe. Other than being busy, it's fun.

As often as I reminiscise about days without kids, an immediate 'after-thought' speaks: "Is life not good now? We have AN entertaining us with things she says, and ER entertaining us with silly smiles and actions".

Life was good, better now.

We never know what the future holds. Mr Liow lost a colleague in the biking accident at Changi during New Year Day and they met just days before he passed on. I can only do what I hope will be best for those I love (and imperfectly because that what I am).


I don't know about tomorrow
I just live from day to day
And I don't borrow from its sunshine
For its skies may turn to gray
I don't worry o'er my future
For I know what Jesus said
And today He walks beside me
For He knows what lies ahead
Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to under-understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand

No comments: