Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Not enjoying school

Past 2 school weeks were good. She would wake up, leave with Mr Liow and upon reaching, put her bag and bottle away before washing her hands and sitting for breakfast.

It's different this week. She cried from Monday and it's Wednesday today. It got progressively worse since Mon.

Mr Liow said the teacher told him she took a long time to settle down. I wondered if it was coz she was sleepy but Mr Liow didn't think so. He said she was chatty in the car.

I wonder if it's the school then. We signed her up at the first opportunity we got and have never once sat in with a class.

She started school full of enthusiasm for a start but just when most kids are getting used to school, she's starting to NOT get used to it. Seems like school is not like what she thought it should be like, or used to be?

I wonder if it's coz school is no fun?? Did school kill her excitement? I had fears that she will start to hate learning with the strict academic system in Singapore. Is this an indication already?

It does feel different when we bring her to school. Atmosphere in class is different frm Gymboree. Maybe preschool is different from Gymboree, or schools in Sgp are generally boring. It's fun and exciting whenever we get to Gymboree. There's music, and lots of colourful things in class. Here in Shekinah, we enter a quiet room with kids quietly eating. No games, no toys, no music, no colourful and cheery things to see.

Is that normal?

I feel like taking her out but will we be able to find her a school that's more fun? Seriously, it's too early to kill her interest to learn.

Am I paranoid? Should I let her continue for the whole N2 year and switch her elsewhere from next year?

Times like these, I start missing Tucson again. I think she'll be happier learning there. :(

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

3 comments:

Sarah said...

There are no toys or games at your preschool?? I know there are cultural differences, but I still find it shocking when play is such an important part of development. Personally, I wouldn't want my daughter in a preschool like that. Maybe you could ask if you could observe a class?

Boredlittleflower said...

We had briefly walked through the classroom on day 1. There are educational toys, toys purposefully created to teach. She told me there were "new legos" which she didn't play with that day because she was "busy crying", she said.

There just isn't a "free play" time in her time table. And I do agree play is important at this age too.

Boredlittleflower said...

I'm sorry. I meant to say there didn't seem to be toys greeting them when they step into the classroom. She will probably be happier if she steps into a classroom with stuff that may attract her enough to leave our sides. I'm comparing school with Gymboree. Sounds like quite an unfair comparison, does it?